Excessive Transmission Bellhousing Leak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2009 :  21:52:04  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The leak got to be so excessive that I had to pull the tranny and investigate. Didn't see anything visually noticeable inside the tranny with the front seal or anything else. Then we finally noticed a hairline crack in the hub of the converter. I had converter bolt problems being that i couldn't keep them tight. Every weekend for a while we had to re-tighten them. That got old so we wrapped some thread tape on an inch thick and drenched them in red loctite held the crank bolt and power tightened them. It held then but I'm wondering it those loose converter bolts, banging on the back of the block , caused my hub to crack on the converter. Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I bringing the converter down to Midwest and asking their opinion as well. I'm assuming we will replace the hub and helicoil the holes to prevent further issues ? What do you guys suggest ? Dave Engler

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  14:27:14  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It wasnt a cracked hub it was a cracked bolt flange leaking on the converter. Got to see the leakdown test and see the actual leak in action. Pretty cool except the fact it's cracked.

Lets see - 3 races so far and I blew a set of pro Dana 60 gears , rebuilt the tranny and having the converter gone thru. Hmmm how much are boats again ? :) just kidding.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

andyschmall

245 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  20:42:06  Show Profile  Visit andyschmall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All of that was because of Nick though, right??
Go to Top of Page

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  21:39:14  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly ! Not at all but how about Joe Marx's tranny in Cedar Falls ? What did ya blow Joe ?
Go to Top of Page

brandonschmall

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  22:25:15  Show Profile  Visit brandonschmall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, what about that tire gauge? Ever get that fixed?
Go to Top of Page

stronglikebull

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  15:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the bypass valve came out of the bore in the valve body and couldn't go back in, Jerry Hass shortened the throw .080 so it will stay in the bore,don't know what caused it,my guess is it's from constant speed and vibration!!Tranny worked great last weekend,but while in competition,Driver left starting line skills in other car back home!!Shake'n'Bake
Go to Top of Page

70 Boys
Administrator

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  22:49:16  Show Profile  Visit 70 Boys's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wrenched on that tire guage for a while only to learn it wasnt worth saving. We parted it out though and kept the good half.

Dont worry Joe you'll be back ! If nothing else build a third car and call it " Absolutely Bananas "

Edited by - 70 Boys on 06/30/2009 22:52:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MDRA Forum © Midwest Drag Racers Association Go To Top Of Page